Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT) provides 100% oxygen in a pressurized chamber. The delivery of oxygen under pressure increases tissue oxygenation by up to 20 times and increases the number of stem cells in circulation. These effects increase blood flow and perfusion in the body, revive mitochondria, and enhance the body’s ability to repair and regenerate.
HBOT for Tick-Borne Infections
Although not FDA approved, there is good research that HBOT is a great therapy for tick-borne infections. Most of the bacteria responsible for Lyme disease are anaerobic or microaerobic, meaning they are unable to thrive in oxygen-rich environments. HBOT supplies all tissues in the body with high concentrations of oxygen, even tissues with low blood flow such as tendons and ligaments and in the joint spaces where the Lyme spirochete commonly resides. The oxygenated environment not only helps to eradicate the Lyme bacteria but also helps repair the damage caused by this pathogen.
The Effects of HBOT in the Body
- Anti-microbial and effects – The increased oxygenation of blood and tissues delivered from HBOT creates an environment where bacteria and viruses struggle to survive and/or are flushed out of immune privileged sites so they can be more easily eradicated by antimicrobial therapy and our immune system.
- Detoxification – HBOT supports exchange of nutrients and intracellular waste and toxicity thereby promoting elimination of fat soluble and cellular toxins such as mycotoxins, heavy metals and organic solvents.
- Increased Stem Cell Production – Increased levels of oxygen stimulate the production of stem cells in the body. These stem cells seek out and repair damaged tissue which may help alleviate joint and muscle pain.
- Increased Blood Flow – Due to the increased pressure in the chamber, HBOT treatments greatly reduce levels of inflammation in the body by allowing oxygen-rich blood to reach tissues with normally poor vascular perfusion.
- Increased Production of White Blood Cells – High oxygen levels promote the production of white blood cells; thereby, strengthening the body’s immune system. Restoration of Brain Function – HBOT delivers high concentrations of oxygen to the brain. This hyperoxygenation increases brain function and helps restore cognitive abilities.
- Recovery of Damaged Organs – The pressurized levels of oxygen HBOT delivers to the body helps to regenerate damaged organs and restore function.
What Else Can HBOT be Used for Besides Lyme Disease?
- Concussions and traumatic brain injuries
- Infections of the bone and soft tissues
- Severe anemia
- Burns and wound healing
- Post-surgical recovery
Research on HBOT for Lyme Disease